Why cryptome sold web logs to their paying customers?

Shelley shelley at misanthropia.org
Sat Oct 10 12:44:13 PDT 2015

On October 10, 2015 12:30:08 PM Razer <Rayzer at riseup.net> wrote:

> On 10/10/2015 11:51 AM, Shelley wrote:
> >
> > The Cryptome archives *are* publicly accessible.
>
> Imho It's NOT his (Best's) material to decide to post without permission
> of the creator. Publicly available or not, at Archive.org.

You don't take the permission to upload the same information JY allowed to
be uploaded to public torrents as implied permission to post the *same*
files on archive.org?

Also, before Best posted anything at all, he contacted John.  Twice.  JY
could have expressed his disapproval at that time.  We know about it
because Best posted it to the list: how many other mirrors are there?  Will
you find them, check them all for the log files in question and chastise
those posters as well?

Cryptome has never endorsed the authenticity of any specific mirrors, but
has never discouraged the mirroring of the archives (at least not to my
knowledge, and I've been around for a while.)

As I've stated, I'm fairly certain my info is in the dataset and it's on me
for not employing better personal browsing security.  I'm not angry with
any of the parties involved; sunlight is the best disinfectant, and this
discussion can become a positive thing if serves to remind us that despite
best intentions, someone, somewhere, is always watching and it is up to us
to protect ourselves.

-S