Why cryptome sold web logs to their paying customers?

Shelley shelley at misanthropia.org
Sat Oct 10 11:51:33 PDT 2015

On October 10, 2015 10:16:55 AM Razer <Rayzer at riseup.net> wrote:

> From the article:
>
> > "He discovered the files when he uploaded the contents of the sticks
> > to the Internet Archive..."
>
> Where the fuck does Michael Best, "researcher", get off publishing
> material THAT IS NOT HIS WORKS OR PLAINLY PUBLIC DOMAIN to IA?
>
> This is an example of the kind of material IA expects to see:
>
> https://archive.org/details/CabaleNewsServices
>
> With permission of the creator... NOT server logs he just happens to
> have lying around.
>
> RR

The Cryptome archives *are* publicly accessible.  John limits bots and
leechers to a certain number of files per day (as is his right, he is
paying for the bandwidth), approx 100 iirc, but anyone who can use search
strings can find anything on the site.

In the past, John has given his blessing to uploading the Cryptome archives
to the torrents.  The files number close to 100K: I would not expect
someone to inspect each document and folder of a public archive before
uploading it, but Mike Best took the extra step to contact JY when he saw
the log files and asked if those were part of the public archive or if
they'd been included by mistake.  If it had been resolved at that time, the
log files would not have been published and we would not be having this
particular discussion.

We can see from the hash on coderman's torrent from 2014 that those same
log files were indeed included on the USB drives sent out by Cryptome and
in the archives John uploaded a few months ago for us to seed on torrents.
(Which, incidentally, I'd planned on seeding as well, until my seeder box
bit the dust and I have yet to replace it. I can tell you I would *not*
have parsed 98,000 files before seeding the torrent.)

I haven't yet stated my personal opinion on this because I have wanted this
to be about the slide in question.  I've been taken aback by the attacks on
the researcher and I am worried that it's going to scare off the next
person with important info to share.  That's a lose/lose situation.

There is no clear answer here.  Yes, we are all responsible for our own
opsec.  Absolutely. If we access the clearnet without encryption we are
leaving digital DNA everywhere and we get to face the consequences.  This
incident is a good reminder of this fact.

Should access logs be kept for that long?  Absolutely not.  From what I
have read in the email exchange that was posted, the log files were
included in a NetSol total restore.  My guess is that John/Cryptome did not
intentionally keep these files, and did not realize these files were
included in the archive.  When I do incremental backups or updates on my
own systems, I don't usually go back and check the integrity of files I've
already archived in my closed system.  I can see where this could be an
honest mistake that has gotten blown way out of proportion.  It's a good
lesson to be more aware of these types of glitches.

Can we collectively agree that it's not an ideal situation, but that we are
all human and, as such, make mistakes - and just move on to the real issue
of the veracity/provenance of the slide attributed to the GCHQ, which
purportedly shows the (illegal) interception of the data of Cryptome visitors?

That's the real issue here, and it *does* matter.  I implore us all to let
the noise die down and get to the matter at hand.

Yes, with UKUSA / five eyes, GCHQ likely gets access to this type of data
from the NSA just for the asking.  That, too, is not the point in this
instance.

/rant

-Shelley