[cryptome] Cryptome has been leaking its user logs for over a year

Razer Rayzer at riseup.net
Fri Oct 9 12:33:28 PDT 2015

On 10/09/2015 02:52 AM, rysiek wrote:
> Why the fuck are people on this list slamming Snowden and freedom.press for
> using Cloudflare, and at the same time defending JYA for sending out server
> logs with dates and IP addresses?
Because Cloudflare won't show anyone (except the feds) what they're logging.

That SEEMS to give the feds a (snigger) monopolistic advantage.

> [...]
>> it creates and no provider has an affirmative obligation to monitor
>> and make determinations about the theoretically harmful nature of
>> speech a site may contain... There are lots of things on the web I
>> find personally distasteful. I have political beliefs, but I don't
>> believe those beliefs should color what is and is not allowed to flow
>> over the network. As we have blogged about  before,  we  often  find
>> ourselves  on  opposite  sides  of  political  conflicts.
>> Fundamentally, we are consistent in the fact that our political
>> beliefs will not color who we allow to be fast and safe on the web. ”
>

> In June 2010, in the context of the case of Holder v. Humanitarian Law
> Project, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld a strict view of the “expert
> advice and assistance” clause of U.S. counter-terrorism laws, making
> even nonviolent advocacy potentially an illicit form of material
> support if it is carried out in conjunction with a proscribed
> terrorist organization. The case had specifically centered on a group
> of American civil rights activists who advertised their mission as
> helping such groups “find peaceful ways to achieve [their] goals.”
>
> It is extremely difficult to reconcile the logical paradox that it is
> currently illegal to give pro-bono assistance to a terrorist group in
> order for them to adopt politics instead of violence, but it is
> perfectly legal for CloudFlare to commercially profit from a terrorist
> group by assisting them to communicate securely with recruits and to
> publicly disseminate recordings of mass murder. Indeed, CloudFlare CEO
> Matthew Prince has been adamant in his declarations that “ CloudFlare
> abides by all applicable laws in the countries in which we operate and
> we firmly support the due process of law.” Prince continues to insist,
> “ We have never received a request to terminate the site in question
> from any law enforcement authority, let alone a valid order from a
> court.”
>
> In deference to CloudFlare, it is possible that the company has
> received a formal request from law enforcement to continue providing
> its services to such an illicit online forum.  Yet, even as one who
> has repeatedly advocated leaving jihadi forums online in order to
> study those who use them, this possibility gives me pause for
> reflection.  If so, there must be a careful assessment of the
> potential negative policy impacts of leaving ISIS recruitment
> platforms online and unmolested in light of the recognition that
> Western security services are abjectly failing to track, identify, and
> stop all of those who are using these sites.  If so, there must be a
> careful assessment of the potential negative policy impacts of leaving
> ISIS recruitment platforms online and unmolested in light of the
> recognition that Western security services are abjectly failing to
> track, identify, and stop all of those who are using these sites.

Testimony of Evan F. Kohlmann with Laith Alkhouri and Alexandra Kassirer

Before the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Terrorism,
Nonproliferation, and Trade

"The Evolution of Terrorist Propaganda: The Paris Attack and Social Media"

http://docs.house.gov/meetings/FA/FA18/20150127/102855/HHRG-114-FA18-Wstate-KohlmannE-20150127.pdf