Snowden on the Twitters

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Fri Oct 2 09:59:29 PDT 2015

Dnia piątek, 2 października 2015 09:16:53 Razer pisze:
> On 10/02/2015 03:56 AM, rysiek wrote:

> >> He believe in the 'system'.
> >>
> >> RR
> >>
> >> “Any movement that seeks social justice through political involvement
> >> and attempting to hold public officials democratically accountable is
> >> doomed to failure. The only real way to achieve social justice is by
> >> bypassing the state, treating it as irrelevant, and building the kind of
> >> society we want without the government’s permission.”
> >
> > Yo dawg, I herd yo don't liek the state, so yo should build one of your
> > own
> > for others not to liek.
>
> So by extension if I'm in a 'stateless' state everyone will luv me?

My point was, rather, that ultimately this:
"bypassing the state (...) and building the kind of society we want without
 the government's permission"

...often ends up being this:
"bypassing the *current* state (...) and building the kind of society we want
 without the *current* governments' permission, so that we can become the
 government that others need permission of"

One way or the other we end up with a "state" or some other state-like
organisation. There will be rulers, and there will be ruled.

But we can either choose to take what we can from what seems to be a set of
good ideas (separation of powers, checks and balances, etc) and build upon
them or try implementing them in a more functional way, or... go the "ignore
it altogether" route, end up reinventing the wheel, and arriving at a not-all-
that-functional variation of it.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak