Snowden on the Twitters

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Fri Oct 2 07:35:02 PDT 2015

Common spy tradecraft to exploit most popular and trusted comsec,
bemoan going dark, wheedle more funding, accuse blood on hands
of traitors, announce soothing adjustments to correct over-reach,
reward those who find bugs and disclose errors by zealous insiders,
issue presidential executive orders, hold hearings, sick IGs onto
the unfortunate, rejiggle court and congressional oversight, appoint
replacement leaders, quietly fund researchers and NGOs to air
dirty laundry, solicit views of outside experts, launch campaigns
to falsely confess the truth of accusations and promise to clean
up the filth of national security predation, contamination, waste and profit,
bring on board as consultants or specially skilled to aid the inept
insiders who are overworked, underpaid, under-appreciated,
excuse those who leave the inside to reap fabulous rewards on
the outside, enhance the devilish torment of FOIA compliance.
hire ever smarter and sleazier press representatives from among
those most vocal in opposition but ready for making a deal either
directly or through speaking, teaching an director-ship gigs funded
by benefactors of official contract and tax benefit largesse.

Comsec and crypto cult endures these ups and downs, mostly
dirty, craven, deceptive, unscrupulous, duplicitous, sanctimonious,
secretive, paranoid, greedy, privileged -- come on, dear public, just
see they are evil on your behalf and neither they or the public would
have it any other way.

Security fig leafs -- bibles, cathedrals, forts, laws of war, free
markets, democracies, encryption --  are obligatory to pretend the
devil is not our deity. HTTPS is as believable and lucrative as
indulgences of the Middle Ages, or sickle and hammer, cross,
crescent, fit bit, smart cities.