Obfuscation: how leaving a trail of confusion can beat online surveillance

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Mon Oct 26 07:12:38 PDT 2015

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/24/obfuscation-users-guide-for-privacy-and-protest-online-surveillance

Obfuscation: how leaving a trail of confusion can beat online surveillance

The art of obfuscation has a grand history, from ‘I’m Spartacus!’
to ghost radar in WWII. Could the same blurred approach give us more freedom
online?

 Analog television with white noise

 Obfuscation, say Brunton and Nissenbaum, is the ‘addition of ambiguous,
confusing, or misleading information to interfere with surveillance and data
collection projects’ to ‘ buy time, gain cover, and hide in a crowd
of signals’. Photograph: Jon Helgason/Alamy

Julia Powles Saturday 24 October 2015 09.00 BST Last modified on Sunday 25
October 2015 20.32 GMT

At the heart of Cambridge University, there’s a library tower filled with
200,000 forgotten books. Rumoured by generations of students to hold the
campus collection of porn, Sir Gilbert Scott’s tower is, in fact, filled
with pocket books. Guides, manuals, tales and pamphlets for everyday life,
deemed insufficiently scholarly for the ordinary collection, they stand
preserved as an extraordinary relic of past preoccupations.

One new guide in the handbook tradition – and one that is decidedly on
point for 2015 – is the slim, black, cloth-bound volume, Obfuscation: A
User’s Guide for Privacy and Protest, published by MIT Press. A
collaboration between technologist Finn Brunton and philosopher Helen
Nissenbaum, both of New York University, Obfuscation packs utility, charm and
conviction into its tightly-composed 100-page core. This is a thin book, but
its ambition is vast.

Brunton and Nissenbaum aim to start a “big little revolution” in the
data-mining and surveillance business, by “throwing some sand in the
gears, kicking up dust and making some noise”. Specifically, the authors
champion the titular term, obfuscation, or “the addition of ambiguous,
confusing, or misleading information to interfere with surveillance and data
collection projects”. The objective of such measures is to thwart
profiling, “to buy time, gain cover, and hide in a crowd of signals”.

>From poker to CacheCloak

More than 30 colourful examples – instructive vignettes in their own
right – are used to build the case. Roughly a third are analogue, and the
images stick. War-era choppers generating radar chaff. False tells in poker.
Iconic movie scenes, like the switching briefcases in The Thomas Crown
Affair, or the powerful “I am Spartacus” moment in Kubrick’s 1960
epic. The authors bring in orb-making spiders, sim-card shuffles,
loyalty-card swap meets, “babble tapes” (a digital file played in the
background of a conversation in order to obscure it – all examples where
the individual merges with the tribe; where false signals muddy the genuine;
where noise and quick feet offer “weapons of the weak”.

 ‘I’m Spartacus!’ – obfuscation on film

Shifting to digital, noise can be destructive or productive, and it can scale
dramatically. This is the landscape that a 21st-century handbook must
confront. Platforms and channels can be swamped by code that mimics and
distorts human communication – bots, like-farmers, decoys and hydras.
Other tools, like the anonymous Tor browser, the Guardian’s SecureDrop,
or stylometric obfuscation (to disguise authorship), can be mission-critical
for dissidents. And there is an ever growing demand for consumer-focused
privacy-preserving apps, like CacheCloak, which hides your mobile location in
a spaghetti map of plausible trails, or FaceCloak, which gives a layer of
control over personal data within Facebook.

We are naked, exposed and eminently traceable, now and into the future, by an
increasing range of data-hungry agents Most of us, most of the time, use
immensely popular technologies without masks or noise. We post in what you
might call corruptible silence. On Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Google,
we document our personal spaces, our frailties, our desires, questions and
answers. We are naked, exposed and eminently traceable, now and into the
future, by an ever-increasing range of data-hungry agents. To concerned
citizens living this reality, and to thoughtful designers of technology, what
Brunton and Nissenbaum offer is a compelling moral defence and some
ready-to-hand tools for a small, distributed revolution of resistance.

Stunt tech, silence and saviours

Core to the book’s perspective is the authors’ experience in building
practical tech – what they describe as “tools among other tools for
the construction and defence of privacy”. Nissenbaum has been the steward
of two major projects, both with programmer Daniel C Howe: TrackMeNot, a
search-history obfuscator that spontaneously generates clouds of possible
queries; and AdNauseam, which “clicks all the ads, so you don’t have
to”.

TrackMeNot was developed in 2006, in conjunction with developer Vincent
Toubiana, while AdNauseam is new, and currently operates in conjunction with
AdBlock Plus, running in the background to click every ad on a given page.
Discussing the latter platform in Berlin, team-member and designer Mushon
Zer-Aviv described it as, presently, more art project than mass-rollout tech.
AdNauseam is currently in public beta in Firefox, but the team is working
hard to bring it to Google Chrome. As Zer-Aviv described, with a hint of
daring, Google will either take it down, to save ad revenue, which would be a
great stunt; or it won’t take it down, which would also be great.

 One of Google’s data centres Facebook Twitter Pinterest

 One of Google’s data centres, part of the web’s back-end.
Photograph: KeystoneUSA-ZUMA / Rex Features

“We see these obfuscating apps and systems as moves in a bigger
picture,” says Nissenbaum. “None, we think, will offer what we really
need, which is comprehensive attention to the picture. Not only the big fuss
about government but all the large data collectors. But they allow people to
visibly signal their disgruntlement – for privacy and protest.”

So how does obfuscation play into the current ad-blocking wars? “It is a
devilish move by ad networks to conflate the massive back-end of tracking,
aggregation, mining and profiling with advertising itself,” says
Nissenbaum. “Our effort, both with TrackMeNot and AdNauseam, has been
targeted at the former. I don’t love advertising but I can tolerate it.
When supporters of the current structures of behavioural advertising say this
will be the end of all the innovation and free stuff on the web, our response
is: no. Although this might happen if advertising itself goes away, it does
not require the back-end tracking for survival.”

The worrying back-end of the web

Advertising does not require back-end tracking for survival.

Helen Nissenbaum

Nissenbaum is right to separate advertising and its current digital back-end.
In the case of newspapers, for example, a great Faustian pact has operated
between ads and content for some 300 years. It more or less works, as long as
there’s not too much of one or the other. The fact that this bargain is
threatened by overreaching data collection and surveillance, from search
engines to content-providers to third-party leeches to governments, is a
measure of the urgency of our contemporary challenge and the necessity for a
creative response. Obfuscation is part of that response.

There is something compelling in being persuaded of the ethical imperative of
digital troublemaking by a couple of righteous academics. Obfuscation is not
an academic tome, and it doesn’t delve into conceptual analyses on its
core principles, such as anonymity in crowds following David Chaum, or
linkability following Andreas Pfitzmann. But the book has been justifiably
selective to capture broad appeal. The lucid, authoritative, accessible and
thought-provoking text that results is a pleasure to read.

Obfuscation is ultimately a tiny shop in the digital realm. To that extent,
it has nothing against the might of big tech. But what it does have is the
potential to fight to keep the preserve of human agency and autonomy uniquely
human. The big hope is that when our bot descendants find this handbook
stuffed in a tower in 100 years, it is unchecked surveillance – not
digital disobedience – that seems antiquated.