Any "greatest generation" cypherpunks in the OSS?

Michael Best themikebest@gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 19:48:52 PDT 2015

If anyone knows anything about, or can recommend any sources on, the
cypherpunk equivalents (and related missions) in the Office of Strategic
Services (OSS - the WW2 predecessor to CIG which basically became CIA in
'47) please let me know.

To be relevant to my research, it needs to be OSS related. Venona, Enigma
et al are interesting and historically relevant, but right now my focus is
limited to OSS.

So far, the most interesting thing I've come across is the Tizard Mission
by Stephen Phelps... unfortunately for me, it's more Britain and navy
oriented than OSS, and the surveillance issues are more aerial/naval than
cypherpunk-y. Since it's interesting nonetheless, I figured I'd share the
link and summary along with my request for help.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Tizard-Mission-Top-Secret-Operation/dp/159416116X

Unknown to the rest of the world, Britain’s brightest scientific and