oldspeak

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Thu Nov 26 02:54:53 PST 2015

On 11/26/15, coderman <coderman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 8:35 PM, juan <juan.g71 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>         http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/terrorism?s=t
>>         " noun : the use of violence and threats to intimidate or
>>         coerce, especially for political purposes."
>>
>>         Oops. That just happen to be a description of the way *all*
>>         governments operate.
>
> you're missing the part where power wields violence for great justice

Power, money, electricity and other assorted tools of human
experience. May we each act wisely.

> [ the key is to always be on the side of power's justice... ]

Most don't get to choose in what nation they be. But within many
limits we have specific freedoms - we can make certain choices.

Let's look at it this way - could the key be to know one's conscience
(knowledge of good and evil), to bind oneself to good, and to exercise
as much power as is within one's domain of action, in the pursuit of
good and to make no compromise (to expedience or otherwise)?

Bind oneself, then bind those entities such as corporations one
creates, to good. Google began by stating such an intent ("do no evil"
as was proudly proclaimed) then later, the individuals in control of
(the power of) Google-the-corporation, they surrendered that control,
surrendered their sovereignty, for an "Initial Public Offering", i.e.
for money, to cash out, i.e. for the short term gain of money and
shares, and compromising on principle of "do no evil" to something
much lesser (grow the company more quickly than would happen naturally
otherwise, try to do some good in China by providing search services,
but whilst compromising Google's fundamental principle to achieve
these ends).

Google's founders compromised their foundation ethic, in essence
saying "the ends (intended or hoped for result) justifies the means
(compromise of principle)". Almost all humans we see today, who attain
a position of power, make at a minimum, this type of compromise, if
not much greater/ worse compromises.

I bind myself to never making a compromise of the highest principle I
am able to conceive. If I can't do it "right", I won't do it - there
is always something else I can do, and do it "right". When we of
competence in this world involve ourselves with one another, let us
cause each other to bind strongly to the highest "good" principles we
are able to conceive, and to never make any compromise of expedience,
and to implement technical measures to support these binds to the
greatest extent of our ability (e.g. digital canaries). Let us be
clear and bold and public in our binds, proclaiming to the world those
principles for which we stand and for which we spend our life energy
and for which we spend our attention.

In these ways may we live in dignity and strive for something higher
than only comfort for our physical bodies. In these ways may we
inspire those who come after us.

Regards,
Zenaan