UK To Ban Crypto In Devices, Email And More

Tomas Overdrive Petru tpetru at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 14:51:57 PST 2015

On 03.11.15 18:27, grarpamp wrote:
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/11970391/Internet-firms-to-be-banned-from-offering-out-of-reach-communications-under-new-laws.html
>
> Internet firms to be banned from offering unbreakable encryption under new laws
>
> 3:16PM GMT 02 Nov 2015
>
> Internet and social media companies will be banned from putting
> customer communications beyond their own reach under new laws to be
> unveiled on Wednesday.
> Companies such as Apple, Google and others will no longer be able to
> offer encryption so advanced that even they cannot decipher it when
> asked to, the Daily Telegraph can disclose.
> Measures in the Investigatory Powers Bill will place in law a
> requirement on tech firms and service providers to be able to provide
> unencrypted communications to the police or spy agencies if requested
> through a warrant.

Thinking about connotations of crypto that could be backdoored as
protection against terrorism or some similar stupid rhetoric:
- ok, lets agree we are going to prohibit crypto...
- so every sysop will now return to telnet
- all banks are going to send money over telegraph in pure morse code,
same apply for telco operators - no GSM encryption
... no no... I meant it for ordinary people only.

Hmm, and who exactly is that ordinary man or woman? Somebody who do not
have web page, bank account, never used cell phone?
How somebody could logically ban something that we all are using everyday?
Back to that terrorist protection logic: in case we will agree that
normal ordinary people are suspect to be terrorist does it mean that
sysop or banker is not suspected same when we allow to use them strong
crypto?

And one last point that can help as to prove whole nonsense: do we want
to give our imaginary terrorist power to read complete communication of
all of us "ordinary people"?

IMHO during 2WW there was logic: not to tell enemy single word. So lets
reverse this anti-terrorist "logic": We need strong cryptography in
public domain just to protect us ordinary people against potential
terrorist spying.

Regards,
- Over

--
“Borders I have never seen one. But I have heard they exist in the minds of some people.”
  ―     Thor Heyerdahl

Telegram................... at over23
facebook...................facebook.com/overdrive23
projects...................https://brmlab.cz/user/overdrive
twitter....................https://twitter.com/#!/over2393
last.fm....................http://www.last.fm/user/overdrive23
GnuPG key FingerPrint......08EA E4DC EF85 0F02 9267 5B48 2E58 6902 C5F8 794C
Public key ................http://overdrive.dronezone.eu/overdrive.txt