[FORGED] Re: UK To Ban Crypto In Devices, Email And More

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sat Nov 7 18:10:19 PST 2015

Joseph Gentle <me at josephg.com> writes:

>Industry grade crypto has existed for years, but things like PGP being simply
>*inconvenient* has resulted in it having virtually no adoption. The big threat
>to pervasive surveillance isn't pgp, its companies like apple and whatsapp
>bringing that technology to the masses.

That's a good point actually.  In my enormous to-read pile I've got "Why
Johnny Still Can't Encrypt", and that's from fifteen years after the original
paper on PGP's unusability was published.  It's scary to think that companies
like Apple have done more to protect us from intrusive government surveillance
than nearly a quarter century of PGP has, because they've made it usable by
the masses.

Peter.