UK To Ban Crypto In Devices, Email And More

Joseph Gentle me at josephg.com
Fri Nov 6 16:13:30 PST 2015

On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 12:51 AM, Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net> wrote:
> On 11/6/15, Joseph Gentle <me at josephg.com> wrote:
>>> I wonder what measures they have in store for those who truly
>>> wish to protect their privacy using decentralised tools?
>>
>> They don't care about us. Australia has banned guns. If you work
>> really hard at it you can still get a gun in australia, but its really
>> inconvenient. Simply making guns inconvenient has resulted in far
>> fewer gun-related crimes.
>
> Your propaganda is propaganda. Serious propagandists at least cite
> where their crap comes from.
>
> A web search for "australian gun related crime" perhaps?
>
> The second result:
> http://louderwithcrowder.com/obama-praises-australias-gun-ban-the-actual-results/
> (also check the comments, although more cites would be good, but hey,
> your position is simply not true, not even close)

Its amazing NRA propaganda still manages to rewrite the history on the
story on the ground here. You just don't see guns in Australia. I
don't know anyone who has one. I'd never seen a gun be drawn or fired
in real life before I moved to the USA. (Source: I've lived in
Australia for 30 years)

>From http://theconversation.com/faking-waves-how-the-nra-and-pro-gun-americans-abuse-australian-crime-stats-11678
:

  While the impact of the Australian gun laws is still debated, there
have been large decreases in the number of firearm suicides and the
number of firearm homicides in Australia. Homicide rates in Australia
are only 1.2 per 100,000 people, with less than 15% of these resulting
from firearms.

  Prior to the implementation of the gun laws, 112 people were killed
in 11 mass shootings. Since the implementation of the gun laws, no
comparable gun massacres have occurred in Australia.

  Remarkably, American pro-gun advocates try to use the impact of the
Australian gun law reform to make a case that reform “doesn’t work”.
This seems amazing given the homicide rate in the United States is
five per 100,000 people, with most homicides involving firearms.

>From http://sydney.edu.au/news/84.html?newsstoryid=1502 :

  "From 1996 to 2003, the total number of gun deaths each year fell
from 521 to 289, suggesting that the removal of more than 700,000 guns
was associated with a faster declining rate of gun suicide and gun
homicide,"

  By 2002/03, Australia's rate of 0.27 firearm-related homicides per
100,000 population had dropped to one-fifteenth that of the United
States.