Facebook censorship

Anton Nesterov komachi at openmailbox.org
Mon Nov 2 17:24:18 PST 2015

I don't think it was ordered by Facebook leadership or something like
that. The truth is that FB has pretty flawed mechanism of blocking, so
any page that received many abuses from FB users will be banned for some
time without any action from FB mods. Both pro-Ukrainian and pro-Russian
pages were banned many times this way, including ones with verified
accounts. Here is some The Guardian report on blocking Russian
opposition activists and Ukrainian bloggers pages, for example
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/17/facebook-pro-kremlin-attacks-russia
So there is no conspiracy, just a lot of users abusing FB's abuse
mechanism and FB doing nothing with that.

But FB really censored an event page of opposition rally in Russia
following Russian request
http://mashable.com/2014/12/22/facebook-blocks-opposition-rally-page-russia/

Zenaan Harkness:
> http://russia-insider.com/en/zakharchenkos-new-facebook-page-blocked/ri10875
>
> Nothing new to cp-ers I guess - I remember about 7 years ago a video/
> slide presentation that circulated - on facebook no less, showing the
> leadership of FB was mostly ex-CIA, ex-NSA. (Yes, I carefully look out
> from my brown paper bag - I did log in to facebook for a few weeks.)

https://nesterov.pw
GPG key: 0CE8 65F1 9043 2B11 25A5 74A7 1187 6869 67AA 56E4
https://keybase.io/komachi/key.asc