Shiny stuff and designer societies

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Mon Nov 2 14:35:03 PST 2015

> On 11/02/2015 12:35 PM, Lodewijk andré de la porte wrote:
> > Sorry for letting that out, but compare the Wild West to the Roman
> > Empire, compare African tribes to old Japan. Structured violence can
> > decrease overall violence.
>
> Glad you used the word "Can", as in not indicating that would ever
> really happen. You've got to be nuts to believe this. The industrialized
> world kills MILLIONS of innocent civilians every year in their wars
> alone, no less the casualty count from falling into a vat of some 'food
> product' at some centralized food factory somewhere and drowning in it.
>
> It's unlikely that all the warriors Genghis Khan ever mustered had
> collectively even eyeballed a million people in their lifetimes.

What do you mean? Seriously! Millions of civilians a year? What???

WW1 totalled       < 260k
WW2 totalled       < 55000k (including famine and disease related)
Afghan war totals < 3k (including anti-US casualties)

Or, more completely,
"In 2013 war resulted in 31,000 deaths down from 72,000 deaths in 1990."
from wikipedia, after
http://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lancet/PIIS0140-6736(14)61682-2.pdf
(thanks Bill)

Industrial casualties are (usually..) actively minimized, and are doubtless
lower per product produced than they were in whatever method came before.
In the US in 2014 there were 4679 workers killed in total (according to OSHA
<https://www.osha.gov/oshstats/commonstats.html>), but obviously that
number will be better than in less developed nations. Not seeing your point.

The Ghenghis Khan comment is like.. what? The Mongol conquest killed over
40 million according to wiki!

I might write to /dev/null instead if this is all the response I get..