DuckDuckGo

Jason McVetta jason.mcvetta at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 15:30:47 PST 2015

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 3:06 PM, Rayzer <Rayzer at riseup.net> wrote:

> OBVIOUS honeypot? Why do you say that? There's nothing particularly
> OBVIOUS about it or someone besides you would notice...

First of all, DDG's claims of privacy follow the implausible general model
of "heyyy, just trust us!"

But there's a historical reason as well.  On the first day DuckDuckGo was
announced, I did a whois query on duckduckgo.com.  The domain was
registered to an address in Annapolis, MD.  A small building near the Naval
Academy.  Not proof of course, but suggestive.

The whois record was changed soon thereafter.