OT: Is the US worthy of International Respect anymore?

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Sun Nov 29 20:30:20 PST 2015

grarpamp writes:
 | Just curious...
 | And completely OT to whatever degree it matters...
 | Do not feel obligated to reply, even within the bound
 | of crypto[politics].

The US people are -- most especially the "leave me alone and I will
take care of my own kind" fraction.

The US government is not -- most especially its organs who "believe"
that a better populace can be engineered with handouts and regulations
(carrots & sticks).

The cognitive dissonance between the above two sentences will be
resolved, but how that resolution proceeds is sheer guesswork.  My
own fear is found in Dostoyevsky's Grand Inquisitor, "In the end,
they will lay their freedom at our feet and say 'Make us your slaves,
but feed us'" -- my fear being that a Dostoyevskian resolution
grows more likely so long as the interdependence of all on digital
systems continues to grow.

--dan