US drug policy -> maintains the class divide

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sat Nov 28 15:46:16 PST 2015

>From a comment on slashdot - I'm not American, but this sounds quite
plausible to me:

http://news.slashdot.org/story/15/11/27/1343243/lsd-microdosing-gaining-popularity-for-silicon-valley-professionals
"
If you're a $100k/yr engineer (Score:4, Insightful)
by rsilvergun (571051) on Friday November 27, 2015 @10:52AM (#51013395)
such things don't apply. In America we have a multi-tiered justice
system. It's pretty well documented. Wealthy and educated people get
treatment programs, while poor (and let's face it, black) people get
jail. It's because what we're really using our drug policy for is to
keep the poors in check. Think of it this way. If your poor chances
are you or one of your friends is using drugs to cope with poverty.
Now, our drug laws, in particular our asset forfeiture laws are
basically guilt by association. Combine that with juries that are
inherently conservative (since you generally have to be well off to be
able to afford to server on a jury for any length of time).

So when poor people show up in wealthy neighborhoods they not only
stick out like a swore thumb, but odds are good the cops can bust them
for the drugs at least one of them is carrying. This keeps poor people
out of wealthy school districts and parks, and lets the wealthy enjoy
their (much, much better) public services.

Basically, our drug policy is central to maintaining our class divide...
"