[Cryptography] WSJ: WH wants to meet Techies in DC re encryption

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 20:17:52 PST 2015

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 1:22 PM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:
> http://www.wsj.com/articles/paris-attacks-fan-encryption-debate-1447987407?mod=rss_Technology
> http://www.wsj.com/articles/fbi-stymied-by-islamic-states-use-of-encryption-director-says-1447866592
> http://www.wsj.com/articles/nsa-apple-chiefs-decode-encryption-views-1445318890
> http://www.wsj.com/articles/hacker-killed-by-drone-was-secret-weapon-1440718560

> “There is a solution out there and there’s a way to get to it but this isn’t the month to be starting down that path,” said James Lewis, a cybersecurity expert and former Clinton administration official
> He and the Center for Strategic and International Studies, where he is a senior fellow, had planned a forum on encryption policy this fall.  After the Paris attacks, he postponed it.

Wtf is this, there's no solution, it's all or nothing.

> Since Paris, Sens. John McCain, (R, Ariz.), Dianne Feinstein, (D, Calif.) and other lawmakers have said they want to ensure investigators can access the content of encrypted communications.
> Mr. McCain has said he wants to pursue legislation.

Pretty lame position for a supposedly brave POW Nam Vet to take.

> One technology executive acknowledged mixed feelings.  “While I continue to feel that outlawing end-to-end encryption would be both ineffective and a slippery slope for society, I’m also aware that I have limited knowledge of all the scary things happening in the world today,” said Ted Livingston, chief executive of Kik Interactive Inc

Governments should give full awareness, including most importantly of
their own doings. Unfortunately, they refuse to. Because their own
doings are far more scary than any ragged band of street thugs.
Including creating the thugs in the first place.