Pride and Legacy Thinking is a Tired Old Bitch

oshwm oshwm at openmailbox.org
Sun Nov 15 01:06:19 PST 2015

On 15/11/15 07:40, grarpamp wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 5:17 AM, oshwm <oshwm at openmailbox.org> wrote:
>> Ok, how about this then...
>>
>> Your idea on your blog is pretty cool but I think there is an even
>> simpler way to handle this.
>>
>> When you sign up for a new mail account, the mail provider...
>
> ... is still the weakest link. Anyone can design a scheme where
> users can turn the net black with encrypted email bodies.
> However these days, and really since day one, it has been known
> that email bodies are only half the problem in the full threat model.
> The other half is metadata. And now with them pushing code to
> you, it's become even worse.
>
> So please stop talking about what you're going to bolt on to fix
> traditional centralised email services. They cannot be fixed, ever.
>
> And start talking about what you're going to build to replace them.
> Or testing and contributing to development of proposed replacements.
>
> Pride of owning yet another commercial central service is a tired old bitch.
> Pride of dropping a true anonymous encrypted p2p protocol
> that scales and reaches adoption... now that's priceless.
> Regarding some of the elements in the latter, Bram's Bittorrent made it,
> Satoshi's Bitcoin is doing quite well, as are things like I2P, many to list.
> You could be next with more...

I think we need to decide what we're trying to fix first.
People were talking about GPG being difficult to use and so adoption is
poor.
What I suggested fixes the GPG is difficult issue - which ppl were
accusing me of straw-manning and instead I should do something positive.
So I did, I gave you the answer to GPG is hard.

If you want to fix the lack of privacy with email as a whole then as I
said a few emails back, a new protocol is required.
Decentralisation is good. Some sort of mix network is good.
I've heard people mention Pond as an alternative to email which I have
no experience of but might be worth more investigation.