TPP has provision banning requirements to transfer or access source code

mo moritz at headstrong.de
Mon Nov 9 20:07:48 PST 2015

On 11/10/2015 03:21 AM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> http://lwn.net/Articles/663817/
> "
> Knowledge Ecology International looks at Article 14.17 of the
> Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), which has a provision banning
> requirements to transfer or provide access to software source code.
> "I'm wondering how the GPL fares here, and how much money Microsoft
> spent lobbying to get this included in the TPP, or if the NSA has a
> role in this. One aspect of this provision is that governments cannot
> insist on source code transparency, for mass market software, even to
> address concerns over security or interoperability."

https://sfconservancy.org/blog/2015/nov/09/gpl-tpp/

"The revelation of this clause has confused our community, as it appears
as if this provision, once adopted, might impact or restrict the
international operation of copyleft licenses. Below we explain that,
while everyone should reject and oppose this provision — and the rest of
TPP — this provision has no dramatic impact on copyleft licensing."