Bitcoin Halloween... A Dangerous Idea... They're Terrified We'll Use It

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 10:55:53 PST 2015

On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 3:07 AM, jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Onions should never resolve, so the answer is no.
>
> I wish I understood what you just said.

When you ask your browser to show you cpunks.org,
your browser takes that name, asks your computer to
translate (resolve) that name into an IP address. Your
computer doesn't have the knowledge to do that so
it then in turn sends the question out to the nameservers
(resolvers) on the internet. They look up the name to IP
mapping in their tables and send the IP back to your computer
and browser which then turns around and connects back
out over the internet to that IP address (cpunks server) which
then sends the page back to your browser for display.
Under the hood the internet (routers) only know IP traffic,
so you need that translation layer if you want to punch
names into your browser bar instead of IP numbers.

While blockchainbdgpzk.onion is a name, .onion
names are based on crypto under the hood, not IP's,
and they're understood to belong to the Tor network,
not the internet network. (Even though Tor rides on
top of the internet somewhat like letters in sealed envelopes
through the post office.)

So just punching onions into your browser (which
ultimately only knows the IP based internet) should not
"work" unless you've installed software and modified
your system to support that.

If it does "work" and you're not aware that you've specifically
modified your system to do that, then you're under attack
and should seek help.

For reasonably randomly trustable walk-in support / mentorship
you might try computer clubs in your area.
For punkery, trust no one :)