Apple At-Rest Encryption

BizDevCon bizdevcon at protonmail.ch
Wed May 27 23:10:07 PDT 2015

Polemic question: how do you want to propose default File Vault encryption when I see most people using 0000 as their default iPhone password?

Real question: using encryption also forces one to thing about a proper backup strategy. And where will the average user store his FileVault key for each device? I remember one service (not sure which one) which forces you to store and print a backup key. You cannot / could not copy and paste: disabled! (I think it was even some Apple service.)

Default File Vault is neat but forget "recovering" stuff when your wife/kid/mom/dog forgets the passcode… The recent death of my father also made me think of implementing a "two-level" personal privacy:

1) Things you want others like relatives to have access to in the ultimate scenario of death.
2) Things you want to keep private forever.

My dad never thought about such and his social accounts are as much protected as mundane information on insurance information of a shared property. In other words: I have a hard time unbundling everything and I am even thinking of taking a strong magnet and let it do the final task on his iMac…

Long post, short summary: we need to rethink storing personal information before enabling things like File Vault for everyone.

– BizDevCon