[OT] Karl Rove's confusion about capacity of NSA's Utah data center.

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Wed May 27 16:47:35 PDT 2015

On 5/28/15, Razer <Rayzer at riseup.net> wrote:
> On 05/26/2015 02:57 AM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>> Whoa! 16k! That's -twice- what my CoCo (Tandy color computer for all
>> yous whippasnappas)
> Trashy80s had more than 8K didn't they?

According to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_Color_Computer

I did get it wrong - but the model I thought I was getting was the
very first CoCo - at only 4K, and the one I ended up getting by the
time I'd saved enough was the second model, at 16K! That was quite an
improvement for someone about to learn BASIC.

So, I too had a grande olde 16K -whoohooo!

Eventually I even managed to hook up an old cassette recorder of my
mum's, since I was too impatient to wait for enough savings to buy a
swanky new one from the store. By the time floppy drives began gaining
real traction in our area the Apple ][ was the go - it was of course
better to have a computer that others in the area had since we could
of course <cough>share software. So I bought a second hand Apple ][
clone. Those were some serious gaming days!

I swapped it with my brother's $1000 (!) portable XT clone with a tiny
black and white VGA LCD screen a built in 720K floppy - I told him he
should not buy it since he loved the games, and although it might be
good as a programming machine, what he really wanted was an Apple of
Commodore. After a week, he agreed that the games were what he'd
really wanted. I was just happy learning MSDOS with it's directories,
and a new version of basic :)