TFC 0.5.5 out

Markus Ottela oottela at cs.helsinki.fi
Mon May 25 04:54:56 PDT 2015

You don't lose one bit for each message. The idea is that the average
length of cycle for a good 512 bit hash function is 2^256. So after
2^256 messages, keys might start to repeat. 2^256 keys last for 10^73
messages, or 10^56 years with 1TB/s continuous transfer speed.

This however doesn't mean the ciphertext will repeat. That would require
that all four encryption keys are the same (Probability for that is 1 /
(256^4)) and that all nonces are same as well (even less likely).

You can't guarantee all messages make it through, and there is no return
channel from either RxM to sender's TxM to tell if some message has not
been received. If more entropy would be transferred inside messages,
drop of packets could lead to keys getting out of sync. But since the
keyspace of current implementation effectively never runs out, this is
not necessary.

I think the local testing version comes very close to the "microservice"
model you described. The local testing version runs all three programs
on same computer and messages are transmitted unidirectionally via
files. But whatever you can exploit on the single system, can lead to
exfiltration of keys so the HW data-diode model is infinite times more
secure. Malware isn't going to break the laws of physics inside data
diodes (removing other covert channels from audio to heat between TCB
units is of course required).

Pidgin is currently the ideal client, mainly because it was fairly easy
to implement (readily available code) and because it's bundled with
Tails. If the constant transmission feature of TFC is combined with
hidden service XMPP server, the amount of metadata should be about as
low as you can make it.