How are the Baltimore riots going?/Any way we can help?

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Sun May 3 12:05:22 PDT 2015

The downside of using a faraday cage with an activated phone: The phone
will start "screaming" looking for a tower, and you'll get much reduced
battery life. Turning phone off first and *then* putting it in the bag
saves battery and prevents any suspected "backup battery" driven chips
from getting a signal out..although if that's your threat-model, they
could just record whatever telemetry they need and send later.

i.e., if a phone is suspected to be compromised and could turn on the
core or auxiliary chips (with main or backup battery), and activate the
microphone or camera, the faraday cage bag will prevent it from sending
that data right away but it could be instructed to store that data
instead and send it back later.

Personally I think removing the battery is sufficient for most phone
models; the backup batteries are unlikely to be enough to drive the more
concerning chips and sensors for long even if they're wired up to it in
the first place.

--
Scientific Director, IndieBio Irish Programme
  Now running in Cork, Ireland May->July