Threat Model: Parents

nerv nerv at fastmail.fm
Sun May 31 01:51:02 PDT 2015

On Sun, 31 May 2015 01:48:10 -0600
Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> wrote:

> On 05/31/2015 12:15 AM, Cathal (Phone) wrote:
> > Wipe the machine, install fresh and clean Linux, and then password
> > lock the BIOS.
>
> That's excellent advice ... to someone who owns the machine. I'd say
> also to use LUKS. But maybe here that would dramatically escalate the
> confrontation. And there's also the lack of physical security.
>
> Zenaan's advice is more appropriate in a child-parent context. If
> that's impossible, the best option is probably doing private stuff
> elsewhere.

I think trying to go against the parents themselves would be a bad idea
unless you know they can be reasoned with, but having a look seems only
fair, their children should know to what degree they should trust their
computer.

I would personally use software such as process explorer and tcpview to
get an idea of what is running (assuming they use windows here), but if
you think the parents may be using something stronger than your usual
parental control tool maybe booting the system from a live cd and
having a look at what may be hidden from regular process managers
(might be a bit extreme, I'm not sure any parent would go that far, but
it will be pretty effective, and maybe less of a chore. If they really
are monitoring all activity on the computer they might deduce that they
are "busted", it might even "incriminate" you once they realize that
their kids shouldn't know that much about computers.)

In any case, the most likely is that they use some basic software and
just "manually" check what was the machine used for, so a small
introduction (if needed) about using computers (and the right
tools) safely and cleanly might just be enough to stop Orwellian
parents.

I never contributed to a mailing list before, hope I didn't fucked it
up
Cheers

--

Goto Daichi (nerv) <nerv at fastmail.fm>