Threat Model: Parents

Gadit Bielman thetransintransgenic at gmail.com
Sat May 30 19:24:45 PDT 2015

Hi.

I'm trying to help (probably badly, but..) a friend deal with parents that
they expect are spying on them.
I know that in general, it's impossible to secure a computer that you can't
trust and don't necessarily have administrator privileges to.

But their parents are not exactly the NSA -- any spying that's happening is
almost definitely some sort of product, plus basic things like maybe
looking through their history. (I don't know much about they're situation
-- maybe they know more, so
well-if-you-know-they-do-this-then-you-could-do-this type advice would
still be helpful.)

Would antivirus be able to detect spy-on-your-kids products? Would they be
able to scan their computer with like Immunet or something, even if they
didn't have administrator privileges?

Tor would probably help -- unless the monitoring was looking at the RAM or
something for website names, which would be way overkill on a commercial
product, no? Or (more likely) if it was taking screenshots at regular
intervals, which would also break running a VM or something. (Is there any
way to detect taking screenshots?)

I know probably the best thing would be running TAILS as a LiveCD -- the
problem with that is that it's REALLY obvious over-the-shoulder.

Um, thoughts about any of those?
Any other things about parents as a threat model in general?

I know this is pretty far from what is usually discussed on here, but I'm
really interested in what you think/it would potentially help a lot of
people.