[OT] Karl Rove's confusion about capacity of NSA's Utah data center.

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Wed May 27 11:27:08 PDT 2015

Subject: Re: [OT] Karl Rove's confusion about capacity of NSA's Utah data center.

On 05/26/2015 02:57 AM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>> Whoa! 16k! That's -twice- what my CoCo (Tandy color computer for all
>> yous whippasnappas)
>Trashy80s had more than 8K didn't they? My Coco3 came with 128 (I
>upgraded to 512 but never got around to the hard drive kit nor did I
>ever get the thing run 9600 baud using OS9 l2 with hacked kernel and
>RS232pak.)
TRS-80 (Model 1) came with either 4 kilobytes or 16 kilobytes of DRAM, and ran a Z-80 at 1.77 MHz.   Eventually, they included an optional expansion bay that could bring the capacity up to (I think) 48 kilobytes.
Old trivia story:  My father (Samuel Bell) bought such a TRS-80 Model 1 in (I think) in 1977.  Probably eventually filled it with 48 K.  Around 1983, he wrote a program to generate a machining tape to machine an aluminum blade (about 18 inch long) that was itself a very small model of what would eventually become a far larger (probably around 20 feet long) blade for a fan for a cooling tower.  He did this for his company: The company he worked for was Marley. http://spxcooling.com/ The blade worked great; I still have one, 32 years after it was made, and 3 years after he died.