we are fucked [was: Jim Bell vindicated]

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Mon May 11 07:45:03 PDT 2015

Guys, chill.

Most religious people are only mildly so, adhering only in the vaguest
sense to their religions. If they do not adhere to religion their ideas are
about as inaccurate and dangerous, but they are less synchronized.

Many people utilize faith for productivity or resolution to the existential
crisis. Without their faith they would be worse people.

I think it would be better to write a bible-for-atheists, with guidance for
living in the modern world. This new scripture should motivate critical
thinking, max(independence + transparancy), productivity (meaning,
advancement of the race or a derivative race/structure) and satisfaction.
Some understanding of the implications of evolutionary effects (selection,
and how it reflects on the currently existing), mathematics, and the nature
of energy and the universe (including entropy) must be included for a
complete and worthwhile picture. Spirituality must be explained as a
function of the brain, mythical events through statistics and human
capacity ("No gods but man").

Simply because we're crazed monkeys and desperately require (very)
approximate models in order to function. And simply because our emotions
run amok of us more often than not.

Until we have this well-reasoned word-of-sanity, the bible (or the
apparently more recent Koran) might be a better alternative to madness. A
simple way to soothe troubled souls. Through the evolution applied before
it's popularity, hard to disprove, infectious and attractive. The dark
question you might be asking yourself is, where and with whom does that
leave me?

I'm very deeply concerned about religion influencing law. This has happened
forever, and will happen for the foreseeable future. Another demon for
democracy, which leaves the innocent and well-intentioned, but ultimately
foolish mass in charge. Or.. doesn't it :) ? (hint: chill)