Meeting Snowden in Princeton

Juan juan.g71 at gmail.com
Sun May 3 19:09:43 PDT 2015

On Sun, 03 May 2015 18:36:12 -0600
Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> wrote:

> On 05/03/2015 04:58 PM, Juan wrote:
> > On Sat, 02 May 2015 21:14:35 -0600
> > Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> wrote:
> >

> >> I won't quote much, but I can't resist sharing this: "And it’s a
> >> matter of record that Ed [Snowden] trusted his life to Tor, because
> >> he saw from the other side that it worked."
> >>

> > 	Huh? 'trusted his life', how? It's a matter of record that
> > you are quoting a guy making a baseless assertion in some random
> > 	blog.
>
> He initially reached out to Glenn and Laura via Tor (Tails, as I
> recall reading).
> If the NSA has totally pwned Tor, they would
> arguably have detected that.

	For starters when he contacted Poitras he was still working for
	the american nazi government. He wasn't in any 'watch
	list' (rather he was the one making such lists) - His actions
	were not 'detected' because nobody was interested in 'detecting'
	them.

	So, there goes your theory...

> We know that they focus on encrypted
> stuff, and one would hope that they monitor their staff and
> consultants.

	I don't think so. Snowden was 'one of them'.

> But then, maybe it's all bullshit. I certainly have no inside info.

	Also, Snowden didn't plan to remain anonymous and didn't remain
	anonymous except for a few days. So, there isn't any evidence
	of tor working, except for a few days, at best. Although even
	that is unwarranted.

	Bottom line, this "trusted his life to Tor"  is just cheap
	rhetoric.

> >> I wonder what the haters say to that. Actually, I know: "He's a
> >> double agent, and it's all a con." Amirite?
> >

> > 	Snowden keeps sounding like an american nationalist. That's
> > a big red flag.
>
> He's clearly an American nationalist. He's said repeatedly that he
> released stuff through reporters, rather than directly, in order to
> reduce the risk of hurting US interests.
> Is that a "red flag"? I would
> have rather seen it all, but de gustibus non est disputandem ;)

	Yes, I think it's a red flag. I'm guessing you disagree(?) but
	I don't know exactly how to read your remark about different
	people and different tastes...