Fwd: design for a Tor router without anonymity compromises

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Sun May 3 10:20:19 PDT 2015

On 5/3/15, Seth <list at sysfu.com> wrote:
> Curious what you would say are the key advantages between your project and
> Grugq and Matt Lackeys 2nd generation version of P.O.R.T.A.L.

key advantages:
- enforces Tor at clients, not a Tor proxy gateway for local network.
this is important in terms of fingerprinting and stream isolation.

- provides defense in depth for Tor Browser, a secondary protection if
primary protections fail. PORTAL failure requires OPSEC compensating
controls. :)

- utilizes secure boot and secure computing capabilities present in
modern embedded processors to further defend keys and software on
device.

- does not use passwords; only key based authentication.

- more powerful hardware to grow along with Tor network itself,
support more than bare minimum configurations.

that's what sticks out for me, as most distinguished from P.O.R.T.A.L.
and related efforts on similar hardware. [Anonabox, Invizbox, etc.]

best regards,