How are the Baltimore riots going?/Any way we can help?

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Fri May 1 17:22:43 PDT 2015

On 5/2/15, Razer <Rayzer at riseup.net> wrote:
> On 05/01/2015 09:38 AM, Y G wrote:
>> Is there any way that the protests could use help on the tech front? I
>> heard a bunch of things about the Baltimore PD being sure to keep
>> track of livestreams and I think also checking Twitter photos? So
>> maybe someone running their own StatusNet or Pump.io or something, so
>> that the Baltimore PD aren't at least getting the data firehosed from
>> the source? (Of course, that would require getting the message out to
>> everyone to switch...)
>
> One of the high profile sites covering the Baltimore protests,
> FergusonAction, is being 'protected', including dedicated DNS, by
> Cloudflare.
>
> That means Cloudflare, owned by the creator of "Operation Honeypot" and
> known to be quite friendly with the feds, 'haz all ur metadataz'
>
> I discovered that this morning and tumbl'd it, with the rest of what I
> know about Cloudflare, here:
> http://auntieimperial.tumblr.com/post/117874632894

Thank you. Useful info for those to whom it would come as a surprise,
and for those who have some trust in corporations which are, by decree
of their constitutions, for hire to the highest bidder (in almost but
not quite all cases).

What we need is to create within ourselves and our communities a
culture of awareness that "if you don't run it, you don't control it,
and it will most likely be working against your interests; ipso
comprendo, run your own".