Firefox 36+ listens on UDP:1900

Y G ygwald at brandeis.edu
Sun Mar 29 11:23:06 PDT 2015

On 03/28/2015 04:54 PM, rysiek wrote:
> Dnia poniedziaƂek, 23 marca 2015 15:06:09 Ryan Carboni pisze:
>>> More importantly, they ditched off their lead developer,
>>> Brendan Eich, the creator of javascript at Netscape times,
>>> because of made up gay-related donation scandal.
>>
>> Someone donates to prevent gay marriage: BOYCOTT HIM
>>
>> Someone donates to the political campaign of a war monger: eh, big deal.
>>
>> Government funds terrorists: eh, big deal.
>
> I'm fine with fixing the latter two. Or were you implying that the first one
> was the problem?

I'm guessing that it was the discrepancy between the first one and the
second two.

The actual issue with the whole Brendan Eich thing was that it was
basically just LGBT people being played off of Firefox for money. Like,
(and I could be wrong, I wasn't really paying attention that much at the
beginning) I'm 90% sure it was actually a pretty small thing that could
have totally cooled down, until OKCupid literally BANNED Firefox users
from their site to build up a controversy where they were the "good guys".

It reeks of being entirely a money play, and I challenge you to *not*
see a boardroom of people running the numbers like "well, we have this
many Firefox users, and if we block them for a day we'll lose maybe this
percent... Johnson, can you and PR give us an estimate for how much
we'll gain from PR for this" ... "Oh, we'll be driving a pointless wedge
between LGBT activists and Software activists? Well, lemme just wipe
away all my tears with a 20$ bill to show exactly how much I care about
that..."

/me is not totally over that, because it could so easily happen again...