[Cryptography] "Most Americans Don't Mind Being on Candid Camera"

Seth list at sysfu.com
Thu Mar 26 23:36:33 PDT 2015

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 15:48:54 -0700, Razer <Rayzer at riseup.net> wrote:
> I called the police on a "Nicotine Nazi" one evening in my California
> town after he stuffed a camera in my face and called me a 'criminal' (if
> he only knew...) for ROLLING (not smoking) a cigarette on a Starbucks
> patio and was informed by the police it IS legal to take 'portrait
> photos' without the subject's permission (assuming they stay out of arms
> reach), and further (in case you were wondering why bullying is so
> prevalent) that you can say anything you want short of threats of
> violence and it IS NOT "assault".

Was the Starbucks Patio visible from a 'public' area, like the sidewalk?
Then one could argue you don't have much of an expectation of privacy.

If I was in this position and the Nicotine Nazi refused to stop filming
after being politely asked to do so, I would pick up and move inside the
restaurant, somewhere out of camera shot. If they followed you in and kept
filming I would ask the manager to escort them off the premises.