Help: Can anyone identify what this is?

Alfie John alfiej at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 19 17:58:35 PDT 2015

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015, at 11:21 AM, coderman wrote:
> On 3/18/15, Alfie John <alfiej at fastmail.fm> wrote: this is likely
> automated wifi attack gear. the three units together could cover
> channels 1, 6, 11 concurrently. (in my own kit, 4-8 radios is
> sweet spot)

Well that's interesting. I wondered why there were three units.

> the extra battery capacity lets it run for days attacking on
> full auto.

He put it in near the stairwell door (almost next to our door RFID), but
it was in full view of anyone walking to the elevators. So I don't think
he was trying to hide, otherwise he would have done it from behind the
stairwell door and not in plain sight. Maybe it was just bad opsec?

> you should be running wireless intrusion (e.g. custom kismet?)
> monitoring to look for malicious activity. and of course, it is time
> to change all your WPA2 passwords! (or switch to WPA-Enterprise)

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. Will look wireless intrusion detection.
WPA-Enterprise too.

Alfie

--
  Alfie John