Fwd: [tor-talk] (UK) Parliamentary advice on Tor

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Wed Mar 11 11:10:11 PDT 2015

Dnia środa, 11 marca 2015 12:43:15 grarpamp pisze:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 9:12 AM, rysiek <rysiek at hackerspace.pl> wrote:
> > Indeed.
>
> Like Obama and others suddenly saying he "believes in strong encryption",

Did Obama say "I believe everybody should have access to strong encryption to
safeguard their personal security and privacy"? No. He said he "believes in
strong encryption".

And it would be hard not to believe in it. Wouldn't it be like "not believing"
in math, or in tomatoes?

"Who should have access to strong encryption" -- now *that's* a whole
different story...

> while that may or may not be true, they also hold policy pens and sway
> over others to back up such statements with action on the public record.
> That is lacking.

The lack of action plays well with how lacking the statement itself is.

> > But my understanding is, the report has been prepared by techies
> > rather than politicians?
>
> On second read, yes, under what looks like a UK inquiry model
> equivalent to the US Congressional Research Service.

Exactly.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak