One Laptop Per Terrorist

Juan juan.g71 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 13:04:54 PDT 2015

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 00:46:08 +0200
Markus Ottela <oottela at cs.helsinki.fi> wrote:

> A microcontroller as TCB doing OTP with HWRNG-generated keys. Sounds a
> lot like the OTP-version of Tinfoil Chat ( github.com/maqp/tfc ).

	Thanks! Checking it out.

> It
> doesn't take a spy or terrorist to create something like this: TFC
> was a hobby of a CS-student.

	Yeah, that was one of my not-explicitly-stated points. Since
	such a device is almost 'trivial' to build, rendering a lot of
	fancy cryptoanalisis (and hacking) useless seems easy. So we
	arrive at the surprising and unheard-of conclusion that
	governments are a very big scam...

> Distribution of key material isn't the big problem, keeping the keys
> secure from end-point exploitation is as TAO, ANT-implants,
> COMMONDEER, VALIDATOR, QUANTUM w/ UNITEDRAKE/SALVAGERABBIT
> etc. make it hard.

	I'm not sure what exactly those things do, but they seem to be
	attacks against 'cosumer grade' hardware and software. Not
	likely to work against a $2 microcontroller with no radio and
	no network connection.