One Laptop Per Terrorist

Juan juan.g71 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 18:02:41 PDT 2015

Seems to me that it's rather easy for terrorists to create simple
hardware for at least secure text messaging (or more).

The recipe goes something like this :

1) a microcontroller.
2) a keyboard
3) an 'old' lcd text display
4) eeprom memory - sd card
5) a bunch of discrete components for a noise generator.

The idea is to mix all those ingredients plus code to get a system that
can

1) generate random data to be used as key in 'one time pad' encryption
2) input text messages (and encrypt them of course)
3) decrypt text messages to the screen

(if the microcontroller can act as an usb host it maybe possible to get
data from devices like cameras and encrypt it)

The thing is, distribution of the key material should be trivial for
any 'terrist' worth his salt.  So the only drawback of the allegedly
secure one time pad isn't really an issue.

I'm guessing that any real 'spies' out there have been using something
like this for a while.