[Bitcoin-development] questions about bitcoin-XT code fork & non-consensus hard-fork

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 20:20:42 PDT 2015

On 6/29/15, coderman <coderman at gmail.com> wrote:

not to belabor the point, but the summary presented by Adam is spot on:
"""
... everybody is on board with a combination plan:

 1. work to improve decentralisation (specific technical work already
 underway, and education)
 2. create a plan to increase block-size in a slow fashion to not cause
 system shocks (eg like Jeff is proposing or some better variant)
 3. work on actual algorithmic scaling

 In this way we can have throughput needed for scalability and security
 work to continue.

 As I said you can not scale a O(n^2) broadcast network by changing
 constants, you need algorithmic improvements.

 People are working on them already.  All of those 3 things are being
 actively worked on RIGHT NOW, and in the case of algorithmic scaling
 and improve decentralisation have been worked on for months.

 You may have done one useful thing which is to remind people that
 blocks are only 3x-4x below capacity such that we should look at it.

 But we can not work under duress of haste, nor unilateral ultimatums,
 this is the realm of human action that leads to moral hazard, and
 ironically reminds us of why Satoshi put the quote in the genesis
 block.
"""

time spent joining others on these efforts is time well spent.

time spent advocating for a non-consensus hard-fork is less than helpful.