Fixing the broken GPG and HTTPS (X509) trust models with Simple Public Key Infrastructure (SPKI)

Natanael natanael.l at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 11:29:40 PDT 2015

http://vinay.howtolivewiki.com/blog/other/secure-private-reliable-social-networks-sprsn-3654

> ** secure private reliable social networks: sprsn **
> by Vinay Gupta • December 29, 2014
>
> sprsn is an idea for a small piece of software which I think would do the
world some good by existing, and which currently does not exist.

> It’s a deeply technical project that I probably don’t have time to build
(unless somebody wants to pay my rent for a few months while I take a shot
at it with a helper or two! – I am not serious about this) but I can
describe what’s needed and maybe it will inspire somebody, in whole or in
part.

> Synopsis: combine the new (telehash) with the old (SPKI) and get a
Facebook-killer in the form of a command line utility that provides a
decentralized social network. However, will Ethereum do this, and a ton
more?

This is very close to what I would like to see created;

Identities and friend management:
https://roamingaroundatrandom.wordpress.com/2014/05/29/universal-p2p-address-book-software-using-namecoin/
PHB's phingerprints (can't find a good reference URL for it)

The data structure of the messages used in discussions:
https://roamingaroundatrandom.wordpress.com/2014/06/01/a-decentralized-hash-chained-discussion-system/

The properties that I want to see of the underlying signalling system is
similar to what Telehash does. Does its crypto behave like Axolotl
(supports asymmetric PFS)?

I want a system that is federated like email, except designed to be able to
work on a P2P fashion where everybody runs their own server if they wish,
rather than expecting dedicate servers.

I also want to see capabilities based delegation of tasks, see Tahoe-LAFS
for reference. Giving a server the ability to act as a cache or
store-and-forward server for me should require a signature, allowing it to
route incoming messages on my behalf to various devices under various
keypairs would require a signature, etc... There's many ways to
cryptographically delegate tasks in a revocable way.