[Bitcoin-development] questions about bitcoin-XT code fork & non-consensus hard-fork

Sean Lynch seanl at literati.org
Sun Jun 28 18:10:40 PDT 2015

Which means that those with a stake in Bitcoin are better off if a fork
becomes popular than if an altcoin does, because if a fork becomes popular
they will already have a stake in the fork, whereas if the altcoin becomes
popular at the expense of Bitcoin they will have nothing. Of course, if a
fork undermines faith in Bitcoin without becoming popular, everyone will be
screwed. But I don't think this is likely; either it will become popular
and we'll all be better off, or it will flop and nobody will care.

The worst case scenario is that some fatal flaw eventually emerges in
Bitcoin, one that would not have affected a proposed fork or altcoin but
that instead wipes out Bitcoin holders and undermines faith in all
cryptocurrencies.