Tribler - anonymous downloading

nerv nerv at fastmail.fm
Sun Jun 28 12:33:14 PDT 2015

On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 11:55:02 -0700
Seth <list at sysfu.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 10:15:38 -0700, Cathal (Phone)
> <cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me> wrote:
>
> > I used to toy with this for a while after the "onion like routing
> > layer" appeared, then read a little about the implementation and
> > uninstalled it immediately and permanently.
>
> Same here.
>
> Another rather unsavory aspect of the software I discovered after
> about a week of running it, was that by default, your computer is an
> exit node. [1] (this may have since changed)
>
> This meant that people abusing the Tribler service to share child
> porn/whatever could spew the filth through any number of
> unsuspecting Tribler users Internet connections and with most of them
> being none the wiser until their door got kicked in.
>
> This is an unacceptable mega-blunder in my book and was enough for me
> to uninstall the app and never look back.
>
> [1] https://github.com/Tribler/tribler/issues/1174

This sound a bit like the model in Freenet. You get some encrypted
traffic and only forward it to another host, so I'm guessing they had
plausible deniability in mind.
Their website clearly states that the project is not secure and should
not be used for "controversial" content however, so I'm not really sure
how much abuse could happen, seems to me like someone with something to
hide would have others and better options.

--

Goto Daichi (nerv) <nerv at fastmail.fm>