Reporter-USG Exchanges on Snowden Docs

Douglas Lucas dal at riseup.net
Sat Jun 13 12:09:55 PDT 2015

Retweeted those; think Maurizi did great with all that.

But I want to throw something out there as a devil's advocate. I've
contacted appropriate US agencies for comment on some of my articles -
e.g.
http://whowhatwhy.org/2015/03/09/will-mexicos-oil-give-u-s-another-excuse-covert-intervention/
- and one gets the usual they deny versus we report. And arguably their
denials can be revealing of additional information.

But what about the no-platform idea coming out of, e.g., Anti-Racist
Action in the U.S.? Where you simply deny your enemies the microphone to
speak out of at all. Why give them a platform?

A simple example other than these IC/MIC articles, because it's on my
mind - I was at a #BlackLivesMatter protest yesterday. Tweeted that
there was a local MSM TV affiliate news van driving in toward the police
department, on the grounds that they got past the barricade whereas
presumably "civilian" vehicles wouldn't, and so that's supposedly
interesting. But is it? Hasn't everyone got that memo already? Who gives
a damn about the MSM any longer? Every platform/discussion given to them
is a platform not given to something potentially more valuable. I don't
think one could argue that "well you could just tweet additional stuff;
it's not either-or" because we all know there is a "tweetcost" of
annoying your audience or, more importantly, distracting them with
pointless information, in this case, about the relationship between
police and MSM.

I suppose that relationship is still pretty important to comment on, and
it's tactical information for activists to know which MSM trucks are
there...maybe I'm just irritated at the seeming pointlessness of this
all, the fetish that sheer information accomplishes infinite wonders in
the absense of analysis and action.

Thoughts?