NSA/FBI monitoring

M373 M373 at riseup.net
Tue Jun 2 17:52:46 PDT 2015

The NSA provides data to the FBI and DEA, among others. Although it was
known previously, this is part of what Snowden released with
corroborating documentation. That it hasn't gotten more attention, by
Greenwald, Snowden, et al, is one of the major credible complaints since
the releases began in June 2013. The FBI does do its own surveillance
and can easily tap telecoms with programs such as DCSNet and Red Hook,
but they don't have the resources (as far I know) to do the blanket
surveillance that NSA (and GCHQ, CSE, etc) does. NSA collects nearly all
internet traffic in the USA with its intercept rooms at the network
control centers that big telecoms have on the internet backbone. They
gather almost everything, including content, not just metadata. The
announced capacity of the Bluffton, Utah data center is several orders
of magnitude more than is needed to store metadata alone.

So, yes, some NSA data is shared with the FBI (and others) but the
details matter. There is FBI surveillance but NSA does the blanket
surveillance. With the FBI, as far as I know, you have to be targeted
(except for the IMSI catcher type stuff, which are indiscriminate but
not an nationwide/international dragnet). The AP story about the FBI
surveillance planes is quite interesting, although fits with recent info
and long term trends.