[Bitcoin-development] questions about bitcoin-XT code fork & non-consensus hard-fork

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 20:12:41 PDT 2015

On 6/29/15, Sean Lynch <seanl at literati.org> wrote:
> Yes. And a failure to accept responsibility for one's own decisions.

this is not about poor user decisions,
 this is about violation of the contract "a bitcoin is forever (and in
the blockchain)"

you see expediency, and no excuses for those lacking judgment.
 their eyes prescient instead, until one comes to change the rules out
from under their feet...

to assume old coins can "just be" resolved for all holders in all
circumstances is to lie, and there is nothing else to call
"deprecating old coins unilaterally" other than a hard-fork, and a
non-consensus one at that.

> I doubt there is anything the larger stakeholders (as fraction of their net
> worth) would accept as due diligence. Nor is any required to start a fork.

sure; these are very different from a "non-consensus hard-fork"
 [deprecate old, force to new]

intentionally trying to divert and betray the contract inherent since
the start - a bitcoin is forever - is more than "just a fork", it's
also a stab in the back.

i don't know how to solve a transition like this, but i know a forced
hard fork is near the worst way to handle it.

> Any due diligence is the responsibility of those choosing to operate on the
> fork.

agreed; thanks for the patient response to my dismissive retort.

best regards,