Elsevier tries to Swartz Sci-Hub

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 14:14:14 PDT 2015

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 8:43 PM, coderman <coderman at gmail.com> wrote:
> - i expect all onions, all the time, eventually :)
> another reason to go FULL ONION

I'd be hesitant to suggest that "onion (tor)" is the best choice
of darknet (that in which any clearnet exit feature of same is not
used), nor the best to come. However sure, any of todays legit
darknets are more attractive than clearnet for many purposes.

Darknets are now powerful spaces for generally unobservable
communication and collaboration. In particular they seem unobservable
to corporations and all lesser entities.

[Darknets have not yet proven to be unobservable to the largest
passive / active capable governments, of which a few exist. The
academic vulnerabilities are documented. There's an active arms
race. And a wait for proof.]

Physical and other abuse / crime against individual humans seems
to not be resulting in any legislative bans of darknet / crypto
tech.

Meta level things such as crimethink and active markets don't
seem to be vulnerable either.

Filesharing is an interesting proposition in that, unlike the
physical and meta, it offends another class of opponent, the
corporation. (Be it of traditional copyright consumer multimedia,
or of corporate secrets).

So the next real test may be when the filesharers move onto the
darknets. Will the corporations expend resources to observe or
legislate them, or will they give up?

> """
> "Thanks to Elsevier's lawsuit, I got past the point of no return. At
> this time I either have to prove we have the full right to do this or
> risk being executed like other `pirates'," she says, naming Aaron
> Swartz as an example.
>
> "If Elsevier manages to shut down our projects or force them into the
> darknet, that will demonstrate an important idea: that the public does
> not have the right to knowledge. We have to win over Elsevier and
> other publishers and show that what these commercial companies are
> doing is fundamentally wrong."
> """

The tools and stands to be tested, both on clearnet and on darknets,
are interesting, important, and necessary.

Many are moving into the darknets today, yet it will take another
decade or so to know the outcome.