[Bitcoin-development] questions about bitcoin-XT code fork & non-consensus hard-fork

Sean Lynch seanl at literati.org
Sun Jun 28 13:52:43 PDT 2015

On Sun, Jun 28, 2015, 12:38 rysiek <rysiek at hackerspace.pl> wrote:

Dnia czwartek, 18 czerwca 2015 18:24:14 Sean Lynch pisze:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 3:51 PM Dr Adam Back <adam at cypherspace.org> wrote:
> > If people on *cypherpunks* cant get the points in the post, I think
> > the world has a problem.  The price of security in a distributed
> > system like bitcoin is eternal vigilance, but if people dont
> > understand what constitutes a risk and hence what to be vigilant for,
> > the meta-system can be unreliable and lose its assurances.  I think we
> > need to explain some more concepts and probably people will over time
> > learn things and and an influencer pyramid emerge as happened in
> > privacy technology.
>
> Yes, I'm sure that when people who disagree with you, it's always because
> they are wrong and never because you don't understand the situation as
well
> as you think you do. I'm sure you know more about Bitcoin than Gavin does.

Wow, that's a low blow. Arguing by authority, and then a false dichotomy:
"either you know more about Bitcoin than X, or you should not have a voice
at
 all on this"

Might I suggest considering arguing on the merits instead, next time? :)

 Perhaps if you bothered to read more than the last message in the thread
you would realize that I already attempted that. I think your expectations
are a bit high when there are people on the thread arguing that we should
really consider the opinions of those making death threats. IOW listen to
the terrorists.

It seems to me that people are terrified by a hard fork because they have a
huge stake in Bitcoin. To me that's the best argument there could possibly
be to fork now and get it out of the way. Bitcoin can't survive if it
ossifies due to the fears of morons who can't be bothered to diversify
their investment, and who have such low morals that they'd stoop to making
death threats.

If we're going to argue based on the merits then let's do that, and leave
the death threats and doom and gloom out of it. We need to be thinking
beyond Bitcoin to the future of cryptocurrencies on general, and a healthy
cryptocurrencies ecosystem cannot survive as an ossified monoculture.