progression of technologies

Razer Rayzer at riseup.net
Sun Jun 28 11:48:25 PDT 2015

On 06/28/2015 10:19 AM, rysiek wrote:
> It was Huxley, not Orwell, who was right:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amusing_Ourselves_to_Death

More Huxley than Orwell perhaps, but one look at the downtown shopping
district in my 'hood and you'll see cctv cams everywhere and undeputized
private patrol security guards on the street literally blackshirting
young people, the poor, and displaced workers (Blackshirting... like
making up illegitimate definitions of laws and ganging up on people who
refuse to comply. I dialed 911 on these thugs one day when three of them
surrounded me for sitting at a perfectly legal streetside window-ledge
and when the officer arrived I was refused a citation that I was more
than willing to take b/c the officer couldn't legally cite me.)

But the book is an excellent read and available from LibCom Anarchist
Library:
https://libcom.org/library/amusing-ourselves-death-public-discourse-age-show-business-neil-postman

Direct link to pdf:
https://libcom.org/files/Neil%20Postman%20-%20Amusing%20Ourselves%20to%20Death.pdf