"The government does not concede that [redacted] is a journalist"

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 09:50:42 PDT 2015

On 6/24/15, Razer <Rayzer at riseup.net> wrote:
> Don't want to sound obsessed here but if you need an example that isn't
> provable without said FOIA dox how about Cloudflare as a tool of
> disruption?

my dislike of cloudflare rises and falls, like the tides. technical
people on IRC making constructive effort is a show of genuine
interest, and appreciated!

however, manipulating DNS and CDNs is a good area to cover.

others on the list:

- SMTP RST injection for delayed delivery (spanning a day or more, potentially.)

- mobile phone and cell data denial of service. [generic - they've got
many ways under this umbrella.] still breaking these out into baseband
specific, handset OS (iOS, Android, BB), carrier complicity (OTA
management updates), active signaling manipulation and capture, and
other attacks.

- interference with state administrative offices and computing
systems. [For some reason, feds are loath to fuck around with other
feds, but states and municipalities are fair game!] still trying to
figure out how to word "interference with state or municipal records
or computing systems"

- permanent denial of service (PDoS) to brick equipment. laptops,
phones, printers, certain batteries. (!!!), etc.

- use of "the classic tail". this is typically cliche and overt, and
to send a message. they ain't foolin' nobody! [it's different when
they're actually trying to be sneaky.]

- service provider interference (the opposite of standing up for your
user, and instead simply throwing user under the bus.). "did you know
you're violating some obscure terms of service? we're charging a fee,
and sending a formal cease and desist."

- others from the leaked JTRIG (less specific to USA) docs, and per
ACLU summary of findings in "Unleashed and Unaccountable - The FBI’s
Unchecked Abuse of Authority"

best regards,