Google has been stealth downloading audio listeners onto every computer that runs Chrome

Travis Biehn tbiehn at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 15:08:52 PDT 2015

*Cough* AFAIK if 'OK google' works anything like on Android (and it should)
it locally processes for the trigger phrase, then provides both audio and
visual queues its recording your voice. They aren't constantly recording
everything you say and uploading it.

It's not exactly the 1984 two-way A/V system its made out to be. Inspect
the source for yourself rather than relying on fantastical reporting.

Google's products and services are not free, I don't find it surprising
that they datamine voice, they've been offering 'free' PBX systems for
years in exchange for all voice traffic that transits through it - directly
using this to train voice recognition along with YouTube videos and so on.

Anything on your machine can be tapping you. Your attackers don't need to
bake it into the browser - doing so would be idiotic. Your attackers can
piggy on updates, TAO in, use an exploit or simply bug you. It's way easier
to pop a 10$ bug in the room rather than risking burning some 0day worth
infinitely more on you.