Free Advice for FBI/OPM/NSA/DOE: full-disclosure hardware

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 00:27:52 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 12:25 AM, Troy Benjegerdes <hozer at hozed.org> wrote:
> PCB layout of the server(s) that got hacked.

The gate counts in the chips moots the PCB.

> 'IP' and such
> because there will be more than just me talking about why we need
> full-disclosure hardware that you can X-ray and compare to an image
> signed and hosted by multiple independent and competing nation-state
> or multinational-corporate level security agencies.
> If your Intel motherboard matches the image signed by IBM,

Private xraying to validate an individual chip is fine, but does
nothing for everyone else. If you already have and are validating
the [somehow open] image, you might as well open-source and
open-up the entire fab. That way you know everything rolling off
the line is good. While you may trust the chip to image in your
hand, do you trust Intel, Huawei, Qualcomm, TSMC?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundry_model